Saturday, April 18, 2015

Shelby Gilyard '12


I worked for Summer in the City Detroit. It is a non-profit organization that helps make an impact in the city of Detroit during the summer by going to local gardens and planting fresh produce, painting murals on buildings to give life to the neighborhood, and planning fun activities for kids ages 5-13 throughout different community centers and schools in the city. The whole program is run by having volunteers from local high schools to come out as often as possible Tuesday-Friday from 9am-1pm to give their time and energy into making everyday amazing! On Friday there are fun field trips planned for the group of kids we have fun with everyday and anyone is welcome to join! Not only was this experience so much fun, but I made a connection with the kids I was with everyday, gave them advice as needed, and it made me appreciate the city of Detroit even more than I thought that I could. ~Shelby Gilyard '12

Total hours of service
150-160 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment