Friday, April 17, 2015

Kaeleigh Heatley '14



My name is Kaeleigh Heatley. I graduated from DCDS last year in 2014. Although most people continue on to college after high school, I decided to take a gap semester, traveling throughout Southeast Asia. It was extremely painful to leave my family, my friends, and the security and comfort of my home. Leaving home was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, but returning after my trip was the most rewarding things I have ever experienced.
I had the pleasure of meeting Tibetan refugees, who have wrongfully been forced from their homes as a result of persecution and violence in their home country. I was enraptured by their stories of hardship and tales of escape, interested by their cultures attempt to remain intact in spite of adversity, and amazed by their strength and way of life. I was fortunate enough to work at a school for the blind. In an area where there is absolute poverty and little to no health care many families often suffer but unbelievably, all of them had smiles on their faces.
My time abroad showed me just how lucky I have it. Although there are still a multitude of problems present in our society today, very few reach the level of gravity that the people I met those face every single day. I played with, worked with, and lived with these amazing people and to see their troubles and sufferings was a very humbling and eye-opening experience. It revealed to me the power of the human spirit and the resolve of the heart.
I encourage all of you to look beyond your TV or your computer screen to the people around you. You don’t necessarily have to travel to the other side of the world like I did. There are people in need all around.




No comments:

Post a Comment