Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Lindsay Penkala '11



My name is Lindsay Penkala and I am a 2011 graduate from Detroit Country Day School, and now attend The University of Dayton, studying Early Childhood Education. This past summer, I decided to go to Zambia, Africa for 6 weeks. I worked as a Community Development Intern right outside the city of Livingstone. I taught a 6th grade class in a local village, as well as organized extra – curricular clubs and volunteered for an African lion-breeding program. It was easily the best summer of my life and I learned more about myself in those six weeks than I could have ever imagined. I was able to witness Victoria Falls, white water raft on the Zambezi river and experience high tea while watching the sunset. Yet, it was one of the hardest experiences of my life thus far. At many points in that month and a half I was pushed to my limit. I was thrown into a completely new place, a new job, with not one familiar face. Everything was different than back home, the people, the food, the sights, the smells and everything in between. Regardless, every single day I was excited to wake up and experience something new, something different and something real. I fell head over heels for the beautiful country of Zambia: the culture, the people and the breath-taking landscape.  I believe in my heart that my journey to Africa was made easier because of the skills I gleaned as a Detroit Country Day and University of Dayton student; confidence, a global perspective, open mindedness and a sense of social justice. I am hoping to return to Africa someday soon. 




No comments:

Post a Comment