Thursday, April 30, 2015

Jolie Vassel-Beasley '19




My family and I support Detroit communities through art installations and assisting DPS students involvement . For the last five years I have volunteered as an art assistant to local students and as a painter, dancer, cleaner-upper and all around worker for Heidelberg Project. My first experience was as a painter for Tyree Guyton's art installation representing homelessness in Detroit. I've decorated/set up for their annual fundraiser, helped children express themselves through painting, assisted in the gift shop and danced in a collaborative video with Japanese filmographers which resulted in an international friendship video between Detroit and Japan. (Called "Fortune Cookie Love"). Mr. Guyton believes that art can save a community and give hope to embattled citizens and I believe that too. 

Total hours of service
5 years, off and on, every chance I get... Too many hours to count

No comments:

Post a Comment