Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Avery Appleby '22





Fifteen years ago my mom and her friend Kay Ponicall started a charity called The Suite Dreams Project. They have created hundreds of dream bedrooms, to help sick children rest and recover from serious illnesses. You could say I've grown up in a home where giving back is a way of life. My family, friends, and I have experienced many wonderful memories working together on these magical spaces. One of the things I like to do is go with my mom when she meets the children. I also like to paint and organize book shelfs. There is always plenty to do before the big unveiling. It feels really good to take part, and help. Every year the charity hosts an annual event where I get to help with everything- from invitations to selling raffle tickets. Last year I even got to sell r-turn bracelets. Recently, my sister along with a group of other teenagers in our community have created a new foundation, in partnership with the Suite Dreams Project, called R-turn. The inspiration for r-turn stemmed from knowing that kids can make a difference too, and It's time for us to give back. The mission right now is to help build a school in Africa at an orphanage that my mom, and sister, and some of their friends were fortune enough to visit. They were struck by the conditions of the school, and wanted to help raise the money to build them a new school. It is now my goal to help them achieve this by creating awareness, and having a feeling of knowing that I can make a difference too.

No comments:

Post a Comment