Monday, April 16, 2018

Kandis Davis '82

As soon as I saw that Misty Copeland, Principle Dancer of the American Ballet Theater of New York City was arriving to Milan, Italy to perform with Roberto Bolle, Étoile of Teatro alla Scala of Milan, I knew that a warm welcome would be apropos. Just months earlier, I had been conferred The American Consul General's Award for Cultural Diplomacy, so I inquired at the American Consulate to see if I could be of service. I was humbled to have my request well received and honored with the task of organizing the luncheon for Ms. Copeland where Public Affairs Officer Christopher Wurst of the American Consulate General, presented her with a special award, while members of the English speaking community had a magnificent moment to dine and interact with Ms. Copeland and her husband, Olu Evans.The effect on the community increased the unity of all foreigners in our interactions with Italians and both Ms. Copeland and her husband were in awe of the outpouring of admiration, care and genuine American pride from their compatriots as this was the only time the couple spent with fellow Americans. The Italian community informed me of how much they enjoyed observing so many Americans celebrating together and how beautiful it was to see how this lovely art form of ballet so uniquely brought together such a diverse mixture of people. I love bringing people together, so this service of organizing every minute detail, was a labor of love. Patrons of Teatro alla Scala were made to feel extra special because I got others involved once I had chosen to create the luncheon at a friend's home, which gave a warmer appeal, being so friendly and welcoming in a most unique way. Also Ms. Copeland and her husband thanked us profusely for the cozy atmosphere my team and I worked diligently to create. Just before that most magical community service experience, I had facilitated the Consul General's Award for Cultural Diplomacy ceremony for Maestro Alan Gilbert, then Artistic Director of the New York Philharmonic and in Italy to work with us at Teatro alla Scala. Here, I organized every detail with Teatro alla Scala for Maestro Gilbert's award presentation and reunited American performers with American diplomats in order to celebrate all together with a big dinner. Even though we were all in Milan, Italy at the time, my fellow Americans repeatedly mentioned how much they appreciated coming to a city in Europe where they were finally made to feel "at home". In another occasion, I was humbled by the honor of being able to serve the international community by facilitating the arrival and awarding of Gullah Culture Ambassador to Mr. John W. Jones. https://it.usembassy.gov/workshop-american-gullah-culture-heritage/ I have served the community by collaborating with the non profits Global Culture Talks and Fare Arte to select Italian art students from L'Accademia Delle Belli Arti to participate in a Masterclass held by Mr. Jones; throughout which I also organized collateral events to continually highlight American heritage. The select English speaking Italian art students got to learn about our history, thanks to the formidable participation of the Cariplo Foundation and the American Consulate and they actually got a chance to create artworks with Mr. Jones! The impact on the community has been unparalleled as both the American community and the Italian community continue to follow the progress of these students as well as the impact of cross cultural relations on our international communities, as a whole. New bonds were created, old bonds were consolidated and new dialogues have begun on ways in which both communities can grow and flourish as a more united artistic community beyond boundaries. There is much more interest in developing an even greater, stronger, more consolidated global community. Art has been the cornerstone of my service to my American heritage in my life in Italy, and for this, I feel thankful beyond words for the opportunity to serve the communities I love. I didn't know how much studying foreign languages was going to change my life, but after having built a life in Paris and Milan, I remain especially appreciative of my foreign language skills, which I began at Detroit Country Day School.

No comments:

Post a Comment